Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Titanfall - Robots shooting you in the FACE

Right in your face...and you will love it. 


Shit is getting real people. It is finally time for me to talk about my number 1 most anticipated game of 2014, Titanfall.

Most anticipated? Really? Absolutely. I love me some FPS games and considered myself at an above average skill level when it comes to then, especially the Call of Duty franchise series. I put days of gameplay into the series starting with Modern Warfare 2 and going through Black Ops 2. Overall, I had a freaking blast playing those games and very little complaints. I just grew tired of the same of old shit. I can go on and on about why I stop playing the series with Black Ops 2, but I will save you from that rant....

My point is that I enjoyed the fuck out of the Call of Duty series, especially the Infinity Ward titles (Modern Warfare 2 & 3). Without getting into the details, Infinity Ward is still around, but all of the main guys left the company sometime during the development of Modern Warfare 3. They got together and started up their own company called "Respawn" and started creating their baby, thats right, Titanfall.

TL:DR - I like FPS games, especially the Modern Warfare Call of Duty games. The same people that developed / created the MW games made a new company and created Titanfall. Titanfall tickles my fancy.... aggressively

Let Me Break This Thing On Down....


This is taken directly from their wiki - Titanfall is an upcoming first-person shooter video game developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by Electronic Arts as an exclusive for Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, and Xbox One. The game was officially announced as Respawn's debut game at Microsoft's E3 2013 press conference, and is scheduled for release on March 11, 2014.

In Titanfall, players fight in online multiplayer-only matches set on a war-torn planet as mech-style Titans and their pilots. Its action is fast-paced, including abilities to run on walls and hijack mechs, and extended periods between player deaths. Respawn describes the game as bringing "scale, verticality, and story" to first-person shooter multiplayer gaming, incorporating elements traditionally used in single-player campaigns. The game uses Microsoft's cloud computing services to offload non-player activity to servers and optimize the home computer for graphical performance.

The game won over 60 awards at its E3 2013 reveal, including a record-breaking six E3 Critics Awards, and Best of Show from several media outlets. It also won official awards at Gamescom and the Tokyo Game Show. Many reviewers predicted Titanfall to be the next step for the first-person shooter genre, and IGN's Ryan McCaffrey declared the game "Microsoft's killer app".

I highly suggest you check out the rest of the wiki for more information on it.  I am going to touch on some of the main points that I find the most intriguing and have multiple nerd-gasums on the way. Join me!

First Official Announcement Videos




eh...okay

That is pretty much how I felt about it the first time I saw it. Looks interesting. I like FPS games, but I am not aware of a game that has really nailed down Mech gameplay. It just doesn't seem to work. Then the next day they released a gameplay demo. This is when the game got my attention and never let go. Pretty dope if I don't say so myself. However, I am still a little confused if this was footage from single or multiplayer.



Official Gameplay Trailer


I have probably watched this stupid gameplay video over 30 times in the last 4 months and is the main reason why this game jumped to number 1 on my most anticipated games list. I'll let the gameplay do the talking for me.



Fuck. Yeah.

However, I was still confused if we were watching single or multiplayer action. Some of the aspects seemed very much like a single player mission / campaign while others looked like a PvP match. Well after a few months, we finally got our answer.

This game does not have a single player...


Come again? NO SINGLE PLAYER ACTIONZ?!?1?1! Please point me to the nearest internet forum so I may rage and call this the single most retarted thing that I have ever heard...

Or not. I rarely play the single player mode in FPS games in the first place. From my experience they are normally pretty fucking lame with loads of terrible voice acting and plot lines. I think the last one that I played was Black Ops and to be honest...it was only because Ice Cube was one of the main characters lol. 

YEAH E YEAHH EEE!

I am completely okay with this game not having single player if they are using all of their resources to make the multiplayer the best that it can possibly be. To the happiness of thousands, that is exactly what Respawn's Vince Zampella stated in an interview with GamesIndustry

"We make these single-player missions that take up all the focus of the studio, that take a huge team six months to make, and players run through it in 8 minutes," he said. "And how many people finish the single-player game? It's a small percentage. It's like, everyone plays through the first level, but 5 percent of people finish the game.
"Really, you split the team. They're two different games. They're balanced differently, they're scoped differently. But people spend hundreds of hours in the multiplayer experience versus 'as little time as possible rushing to the end' [in single-player]. So why do all the resources go there? To us it made sense to put it here. Now everybody sees all those resources, and multiplayer is better. For us it made sense."

I am SO glad they made this choice rather then push back the game another 4-5 months or worst, rush it to production without it being as polished and smooth as it could have been. 

Random Thoughts...be scared


We are a few months away from this game being released on Microsoft products. Yes, unfortunately this game is an exclusive to one of the rulers of the world, Microsoft. It will be available only on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC. 

Since my current plan is to purchase and play this game on the PC, I have been paying closer attention then normal to how the gaming servers are setup and what the end user experience will be. The PC version will be hosted through EA's Origin gaming application and servers. Does this make anyone else have an emotion close to the word "ugh" or "gross"? I don't know, but after I bought Battlefield 4 and witnessed first hand all of the issues that came with it on the PC...I am not excited about this at all.

I always planned on purchasing a next generation console and didn't think anything would really persuade me into not purchasing a PS4. However, I got to thinking and realized that personally, it would be pretty silly of me to buy a PS4 when almost all of the games that I want to play are either on the PC or exclusive to Xbox. Lets go through the list in no particular order shall we? 
  • Titanfall - Xbox /  PC
  • Diablo 3 Expansion: Reaper of Souls - PC / PS4
  • Watchdogs - PS4 / Xbox / PC
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth - PS4 / Xbox / PC
  • Tales from the Borderlands - PC
  • Wildstar - PC
What do all of them have in common? PC! Why buy either of the consoles? I just recently updated my PC within the last year and while I wouldn't consider it a "gaming PC"...it is definitely a solid gaming rig and will be able to play all of the above mentioned games. Just makes the most sense to me. 

Leaked alpha footage and dat hype video!


I will leave you with these two videos. I recommend watching the hype video first, but you do as you see fit. Until next time people!



1 comment:

bbr said...

How active are you of late - in regards to blogging compared to when you started WoW blogging?
Be a sport and drop by here: Linky here - calling all bloggers
I'm doing a writeup to see how many WoW bloggers are still "active" - if you'd be interested in a link exchange, just let me know, it'd be good for some extra pageviews ^,^